Monday, August 20, 2007

Incomprehensible Tiff "Explained"

Materazzi reveals slur to Zidane
Calgary Herald
August 19, 2007

Italy's World Cup winning defender Marco Materazzi revealed Saturday he had told French icon Zinedine Zidane during last year's final that he preferred his "whore of a sister" to his shirt.

It was this comment that led to Zidane headbutting Materazzi in the chest and being dramatically sent off. That incident preceded France losing the final in a penalty shoot-out.

Materazzi made his revelations to an Italian magazine which is due to be published Monday.

The uncompromising Inter Milan central defender had previously made a different statement.

"I held his shirt for only a few seconds, he (Zidane) turned to me and spoke to me in a manic fashion, looked at me arrogantly from top to bottom and said, 'if you want my shirt you can have it after the match.'

"I responded with an insult, that is true," said Materazzi.

No comments: